Zovirax is used for the treatment of cold sores. The active ingredient is aciclovir, an antiviral agent.
Apply Zovirax at the first signs of a cold sore (such as tingling and itching). It can also be used to speed up healing if a cold sore has already appeared.
Directions for use
- Suitable for all ages.
- Apply at the first signs of a cold sore (such as tingling and itching).
- Apply liberally to the affected area 5 times a day.
- Continue treatment for 4 days.
- If your cold sore hasn’t healed after this time, you can use the cream for up to 10 days in total.
- Treat your cold sore for 4 full days to ensure rapid healing.
- If you forget a dose, apply when you remember and continue as before.
- Active Ingredient: 5% w/w Aciclovir
- Other ingredients: Dimeticone, Propylene Glycol, Poloxamer 407, Cetostearyl Alcohol, Sodium Laurilsulfate, White Soft Paraffin, Liquid Paraffin, Arlacel 165 (Glycol Monostearate, Macrogol Stearate 100), Purified Water.
Warnings and restrictions
Take special care with Zovirax.
- Always wash your hands before and after applying Zovirax.
- Do not touch your eyes until you have washed your hands after application.
- If you accidentally get cream in your eye, wash out thoroughly with warm water.
- Consult your doctor if you are concerned.
- Do not swallow the cream.
- If you accidentally swallow any cream, it is unlikely to cause any ill effects but consult your doctor if you are concerned.
- Avoid touching a cold sore in order to prevent transferring the infection or making it worse.
- If you have been told by your doctor that you have a weakened immune system, contact your doctor before treating any type of infection.
- If you are in any doubt that you have a cold sore, contact your doctor.
- If your cold sore gets very severe, contact your doctor.
Tell your doctor or pharmacist before use if you are taking any regular medication on prescription or over-the-counter products.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding
- Talk to your doctor or pharmacist before using Zovirax if you are pregnant, trying to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
- Do not use Zovirax if you have ever had an allergic reaction to aciclovir, valaciclovir, propylene glycol or any of the other ingredients.
- Do not use in your mouth (e.g. for mouth ulcers) or nose.
- Do not use for any skin infection other than a cold sore.
- Do not use in the eyes or on the genital area.
Taking other medicines
This product is unlikely to interact with other medication. However, please speak to your pharmacist or doctor if you are using any other medication for the skin.